Enable SMTP Authentication for Entourage
Enabling SMTP Authentication
- Open Entourage.
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- Click once on the name of your HIS account. This will highlight the account.
- Click on the Edit button at the top of the Accounts window. DO NOT click on the edit menu at the very top of the screen.
- In the Account Settings tab at the bottom of the Edit Account window, change the text to mail.his.com in the SMTP server box.
- Click on the Click here for advanced sending options button underneath the SMTP server box.
- Place a checkmark in the box next to SMTP server requires authentication.
- In the Override default SMTP port: field enter 587, then select OK.
- Click on the very small close box in the upper-left corner of this settings window to close it.
- Click the OK button to close the Edit Account window, and then close the Accounts window. SMTP authentication has been enabled.
An increasing number of cable and DSL providers (Comcast, Cox, Roadrunner, Verizon, etc...) are blocking the default SMTP port 25 except for their own mail servers. This is being done to help reduce the amount of spam sent from infected customer PCs.
Symptoms: you get an error sending mail, saying "could not connect to mail.his.com".
Solution:In order to send email through your HIS mail server from your cable/DSL account you will need to use SMTP port 587 for mail.his.com.