Outlook 2010 IMAP does not delete messages from the server
Even Outlook 2010 should be able to let you delete mail on the server via IMAP,
however in IMAP, it is a 2 step process.
Check what happens in your Outlook 2010 when you delete IMAP items
- Click the File tab.
- Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, click the IMAP account that you want to change, then click Change and then click More Settings.
- On the Deleted Items tab, do one of the following:
- To have deleted items moved to another folder, select Move deleted items to the following folder on the server and then click the folder that you want the items moved to.
- To mark deleted items but not move them, select Mark items for deletion but do not move them automatically.
In the 1rst case (deleted items moved to another folder), you should be able to click on the folder containing your deleted items (it'll have a recycle bin icon), and empty it.
Or go to File-Mailbox cleanup- empty deleted items folder.
In the 2d case (mark deleted items), the messages just disappear (?).
To delete them you have to select a folder (inbox) and click on the Outlook Folder tab, then PURGE to remove them from the server (and Outlook).