Zimbra Pro: Setting up Microsoft Outlook (Windows) with Zimbra Connector for Outlook Synchronization (ZCO)
The Zimbra Connector for Outlook Synchronization (ZCO) allows your users to use Microsoft Outlook to synchronize Mailbox, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks with the Zimbra server using the Zimbra Connector for Outlook for older versions of Outlook.
Ii enables powerful features such as:
- Synchronization of all Mail Folders, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks
- Advanced Persona Features
- Advanced Zimbra Collaboration Synchronization for Out-of-Office, Signatures, Rules, etc.
- Advanced Sharing features per Folder, Calendar, Contact, etc.
It is available only for our Zimbra Pro accounts.
Make sure your version of Outlook is supported.
Source: Zimbra Connector for Outlook installation guide
All installations of Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office must have the latest updates from Microsoft.
Make sure Outlook is closed before installing ZCO.
Make sure your Antivirus software is disabled during the initial sync.
- If you are setting up multiple Outlook clients, consider staggering the client setups so that they don't all sync at once and saturate your Internet connectivity.
Installing the Connector (ZCO)
1- First: Check which version of Outlook you have so you can chose the correct installer version (32 or 64 bits).
2- Close Outlook.
3- [Download the Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO)]https://zmail.his.com/downloads/index.html").
- You will be prompted for your account username: enter your email address and password.
- Chose the ZCO (32 or 64 bits) version matching the Outlook version you have.
You can also download the latest directly from Zimbra:
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply or enter a support ticket.
If Outlook is open, close it: In Outlook, go to File then Exit.
Double-click the connector MSI installation file from the Downloads folder on your computer to execute the installer: The Zimbra Connector for Outlook Setup Wizard will appear:
Read the end-user license agreement and click I accept the terms in the License Agreement.
To begin the installation, click Next.
Once the installation has completed, the Installation Complete dialog displays.
- Start Outlook.
Creating an Outlook Profile for ZCO
If there are no existing Zimbra profile the fist time you open Outlook after installing the ZCO, you will be prompted for the information to create one.
Zimbra Server Configuration Settings
- Server name: your mail server hostname (zmail.his.com or zmail2.his.com).
- Use Secure Connection: Check.
- Email address: your full email address, e.g. email@example.com
- Password: As provided
- Click OK
Once configured, Outlook with ZCO will start to sync any emails, contacts and calendar items it finds on the Zimbra server.
Note: the first Sync can take a while if you have a big mailbox (5 GB or over) so be patient.
You can always access your email via webmail: https://zmail.his.com in the meantime.
To make your initial synchronization faster, you can do the following:
If you previously accessed your Zimbra account using an IMAP account type or the webmail client, you may want to empty the Junk, Trash and Deleted/Deleted Items folders and delete or archive any older mail items. Accounts with larger mail folders take longer to sync.
- If the sync fails to start automatically, press F9 to manually start the synchronization.
When you initially install and run the ZCO, a new Outlook profile named Zimbra will automatically be created. This means that your previous account data (emails, contacts and calendar events) will be on a different Outlook profile.
The data would need to be migrated from the old profile to the new profile via import/export within Outlook.