Enabling Secure Connections in Outlook 2013-2016
- Open Outlook and go to its "File" menu
- Proceed to "Info" option and click on the "Account Settings" button.
- Select the "Account Settings" sub-button that appears
- While viewing the "E-mail" tab: click on the account name you would like to edit
- Then click on the "Change" button .
- Click on "More Settings" at the bottom right.
Do NOT change the mail server name. It should be the HIS server name (xxx.his.com).
- Click on the "Outgoing Server" tab.
Place a check in the box labeled "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"
Select the radio button labeled "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"
- Click on the "Advanced" tab
- Place a check in the box labeled "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) for the incoming server.
- Select "SSL" from the drop down located near to the outgoing server.
- Specify the following ports for both servers as shown:
Incoming IMAP Port 993 (If still using POP3 then Port: 995).
Outgoing SMTP Port: 587 with TLS or port 465 with SSL/TLS.
- Click "OK"
- You will now be taken back to the Internet E-mail Settings window (where you previously entered your account information).
14.Click on the "Test Account Settings ..." button to send a test email via the new account.
Note: If using IMAP: Set the IMAP Root folder:
- Click the File tab, then Account Settings
- Choose your e-mail account, then click Change
- Click More Settings
- Click the Advanced tab
- In the Root folder path type INBOX
- Click OK and Next to save your changes